Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Create A New Post

This is the title on the button I have to press if I want to get to this screen - the one that allows me to type away for all of those 2 readers out in Blogland.

We are venturing onto the 6th day of the new year .... 6 days of trying to live under a new intent.  6 days of reminiscing about the year past, and hoping that the proceeding minutes will deem significant.

A few hours before the ball dropped on Time Square, like many, i silently went through a list of resolutions, potential goals, and desires for the new year.  Live simple. Live uncomplicated. Live a life of giving.  Live with gratitude.

I write this and the sound in my head is something parallel to the record needle being scratched when stopped mid-song on the turn style (sp).  A halt in motion.  Teenagers add an unfortunate layer.  Simple and Uncomplicated?  Ha!  Ya, I'd like to see that.

I know as a parent, i should take the back seat and appreciate this time -knowing that everything I am putting into them will intuitively be represented back in adult form. Radiant form. As adults, they will often reflect with colleagues, peers and friends, "Ah, one thing my mom always taught me was...."  "My dad was really good at reminding us to....."  "The best advice my mom gave me was...."

  But still....HA!

No simple lives here and completely complicated.  What are they learning?

1. If I want something, I have to work for it.....not over time, but just on the day that I want something.  I want 10 dollars to go to the movies, I work for it on that day
2 Once I have achieved what I need, it is time to take a well deserved break
3. If I see someone (mom) doing work that could potentially earn *me* money, i might suggest they take a break until I can get to it when the time works best for me.
4. . My time is *my* time.
5. Someone else's time is still *my* time.
6. To negotiate is a gift
7. The value of the dollar is only a benefit when it is *my* dollar.

Aside conversation on the way home from the orthodontist after 14 year old gets his braces off.  He received a congratulatory mylar balloon as well as a king sized Reese's Peanutbuter Cup.

12 year old to 14 year old: "Can I have one of your PB Cups??"
14 year old to 12 year old: "Only if you can pay me 100.00!"
14 year old to me: "Mom, do you want one of these?"
12 year old to 14 year old:  "WHAT?  Why does mom get one and I don't?"
14 year old to 12 year old: "Because she paid 5000.00 for it!"
12 year old to 14 year old: "Oh."

Husband's response after relaying it to him later that evening: "We really paid $5000.00 for his braces?"

So, as much as I have tried to untangle things over here in western suburbia....it just ain't working.  Today, i was in the car more times than i can count and none of it was simple and it was all self-serving to the teenager(s).

 But.... i have to end this on a decent note.

I know there are hard days, there are challenging days, there are days where i take one deep breath after the next ---- but I wouldn't trade it.  I keep climbing that mountain with these children of mine - but know that each day is a blessing - i get this.

Thanks for listening




No comments: