Feet propped up on the couch. Laptop on the appropriated 'lap.' Fingers tapping in frenetic motion. Eyes affixed to white screen. A scratch of the head, a rub of the chin, a partial gaze up and then back. This not only describes my current position, but turning my head slightly to my left, I observe the very same posture and action by my husband. The BBC World News is the focused sound; but eyes remain fixed on occupation.
The iPad rests conveniently to my right and ever so often, it will 'bing,' informing me that it is my turn in Words With Friends. The book I am reading (still), sits to my left. I have two books that I am reading on my iPad, one book downloaded onto my computer and a real live paper book sitting next to me.
I was stating earlier today that I have a heightened sense of technology in our small speck of existence. I have toiled with where my placement is in all this.
My children have balanced lives. Sports, literature, family outings, family dinners, parent involvement, blah, blah, blah. But a pinnacle part in all this is the addition and perhaps dependency on communications via text, entertainment via computerized games, and social interaction throughout this medium. It is just a part of our lives and a fiber of this family. Frequently, after saying goodbye to the boys in the morning, I will text the boys an 'i love you' while they wait for the bus. Or when they are home alone, i can quickly text them an on location update and timeline of my presence at home.
The 30 minute rule will always stand, but i think, now more than months prior, my allowances come with less resistance. There is an attractiveness in discussing technology with your children....mature discussion on hardware, software, 'cool apps,' I even enjoy texting them....i get words that would not normally be easy to say face to face. My 14 year old will sign his texts sometimes with an 'I love you."
The 2 year old - as i have stated before, has used the iPad extensively. He has more apps and more folders than I do. It can not take the place of face to face snuggle time, nor can it be a substitute for learning that comes directly from his parents and siblings --- but Train Apps, PBS Apps, ABC Apps certainly do not hurt, but add to the perspective.
Okay - so, this is my two cents worth.
Thanks for listening.
OH - I almost forgot.....from time to time, we actually play family games. Most often, it is a Wii game, but we do happen to have a collection of the tried and true board game. Today, as i was trying to add some 'balance' to the day, the kids and I played Pictureka. One of Lucy's newest favorites. We played a couple of rounds and then the oldest one squeaked out, "Okay, who's up for Dance Party 3? "
Thanks for listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment