Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2009

When Stillness Comes

On the radio, the Jonas Brothers are singing some song about the year 3000. My three children are in the back seat trying to keep the beat when the oldest takes his brother’s hat off his head. The bickering sets in motion

“Gimme my hat!”
“Gimme my hat” mimics the older one, in a more acute tone.
“I mean it!”
“I mean it” again, with the mimic.

The daughter decides, now would be a decent time to sound off the reasons why she should not be wearing the shoes I picked out for her to wear; "The laces are too long, they are hard to tie if they come undone, and I used to like the color brown, but now I might like the color brown next year." The drama cry kicks in and the remainder of her debate is unintelligible.

I continue our drive and as I take in a deep breath and tune out the fervent discussions in back;

I find stillness within


Nursing my infant son, who takes in way to much milk and throws up all over me, just in time to listen to his sister scream out as she has fallen in the shower and has taken the curtain rod down with her. In quickness, the infant is placed on the floor and I dash to the bathroom. Infant sounds off as I assess my naked daughter, cold and dripping wet. In the midst of this orchestral and harmonious melody, my middle son interrupts to ask if i can make him a fried egg sandwich.

I find stillness within

My son, Perry, blares a pre-programmed song on the keyboard; while Lucy plays her new assigned piece on the piano in the adjoining room. Simon asks where the microphone is so he can make up a song to the fanatical sound. Before I rein them in; before I scream;

I find stillness within

My children are in full swing with getting their day started. One drops a plate with a waffle upon it, another stubs their toe on the edge of a chair, and wails away - while the last one spanks his brother with the hand of his stuffed animal and receives, in response from his brother, a loud shout of the name, "PERRY!" The butterfly affect moves down the hall and the baby joins in with his chorus of song. The oldest remarks, “Crazy things happen here every day!” And it is only 8:30 in the morning.

I find stillness within

I choose to make stillness part of my life. God provides every resource I need to continue in my walk with Him. When “crazy things happen here every day” kinds of moments take hold, I can look to Him. It takes shorter than a moment of time to find a sense of peace and strength. I know He has my back and when days are less tame than others and I do not find nor desire those peaceful moments; I know He is there; waiting in the stillness for me to return, waiting for our connection with the other, waiting for my peace to be filled.

And oh, how we need restoration often during our busy days - so quiet communion with Him even for a minute here and there restores.



No comments: