Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

a reference to day

Today began mild and typical. Fitting in my world. When the morning was still within it's quiet awakening, my oldest son asked:

"What are we going to do today?"

I hate this question.

Somewhere within the depths of me came Julie McCoy, the cruise director. Options were stated.
1. I want to go swimming!
2. I want to go roller skating!
3. I want to go to the Chutes and Ladders Park!

I slowly slumped further in my chair, as I simply wanted to 'hang out' as I always do.

We called some friends, but they had already made plans for the day. I latched onto this "Oh well, we tried" moment and I began to relish the day's quiet.


As I was taking in the scene from our backyard deck, my oldest suggests that we all go bowling.

I quickly calculate this in my head and with loud question, i think, BOWLING? bowling? hmmm......bowling.

Okay.



The three run in all directions - grabbing shoes, money, brushing teeth, putting on socks.

We pick up some lunch and eat it outside before going in. We bowl our one game a piece and the day's FUN was over within the hour.

We head home. I pull into the garage and quietly leave the chattering dialogue of what to do next.

As a unit, we made the decision to go to Minnehaha Falls. We made it there just fine, but learned, after the descent down the 134 steps, that the falls were under construction and many of the trails were closed. SO, we went back up the stairs - with baby in tow. The oldest son leads us onto another trail and we find ourselves deeper and deeper on a long and windy trail.



Meanwhile, baby is getting hungry, so we pause to take a break for Sidney's lunch.









As soon as I get settled with Sidney and the kids

seem to be content, Simon says, "I have to go poop!" I advise the woods and he denies my option. "I can run to the top!" I encourage the woods again and he continues his denial and makes a run for it. Two minutes later, Perry says, 'I hear Simon crying!"

I whip the family into shape and we head back. we all take a bathroom break and head on home -but first, stop on over to a friends house who just finished up a remodel. we hop on the freeway and it is backed up with traffic.

Sidney begins to sound off and I pull off of the already crowded freeway to a fairly emptied parking lot and feed him again.

Soon, (but not soon enough) we are back on the freeway heading home. we make it home - i send the kids outside and open up a beer and head on back to my back side deck to take in the remainder of the day!

Now, it's time for ice cream!

Text messages between husband and self during day

They call me Julie McCoy, the cruise director *(katie)

*?? (john)

We are bowling at the moment.....perry just hit simon (katie)


Off to Minnehaha Falls (katie)


Falls under construction This of me with a crying baby and going up and down steps. (katie)


HELP!!! (katie)

* What's up? (john)


I am stuck and frustrated (katie)


*On your way home? (john)


No, go back to work (katie)


* Just in a meeting. I will call you when done. (john)


Far, far away from civilization and simon has to go poop Sidney is presently nursing and I am laughing. (katie)

* Find a tree, use a wipe and head back to the car. It worries me that you are sort of alone with the kids. (john)

No big deal...packing up ..he is making a run for it and we will meet up with him...Sidney is still hungry - but sorry. Still smiling. (katie)


All back together. Simon turned around and began crying out really loud. Now I am not smiling. (katie)


Stopping off 62. Traffic. Need to nurse and change diaper. Unhappy baby. (katie)



No comments: