Presently, i am sitting at the head of our kitchen table, looking over bills, scheduling field trips, summer outings and letting our cat in and out of our door. Nothing that would elicit an exciting response by anyone.
On the other hand, to my direct left, all three of my children have the radio blaring in the next room - "I'll tell ya want i want, what I really, really want....." "Who let the dogs out....who? who? who?" "To the left, take it back now ya’ll 1 hop this time, right foot let’s stomp Left foot let’s stomp, Cha Cha real smooth..." All three in rhythm run to the bathroom, drop a handful of gel in their hair - which is never enough - and run back out to groove on!
"Hey, look at this move!"
"Hey --- do you know that i can do this?"
"Mom???? I don't want you to watch me right now!"
In my peripheral, i see my son changing into his hipper and freely moving 'dance clothes', hair spiked and baseball hat positioned sideways.
I can only appreciate this significant time from afar. I made the failing attempt to show off my cool mom moves and I was quickly told that I was not invited. I countered with some 'hip' banter and again, affirmed that the old lady simply could not match their eclectic energy.
So, I slumped back to the kitchen table, where bills and calendars awaited me. I turned back, closed the pocket doors and poured myself another cup of coffee. I can appreciate this free and spontaneous 'kid' time. It makes it's way through out house like the comforting aroma of a savored dish.
The dance moment will soon be replaced by the in depth world of legos. Battles will be held, stations will be captured, treaties will be formed and with every sound imaginable, lego ships will fly about the room with set missions. I will be asked to come into the room to agree with my ohhs and aaahs but then dismissed. Dad knows how to play legos; mom, clearly does not (smile).
Another sip of coffee, another sentence in the blog and now it is time to close for the day
No comments:
Post a Comment