To my right, Lucy is filling in the 5 Straight Board with pegs. We just finished a 2 round game and now, as i watch her systematically plug in the colored pegs into a set pattern of choice, I type on this blank page in a very unsystematic fashion.
LEADING WITH.....
Al Potter died last night at 7:26pm after a very short battle with Bile Duct Cancer. No one on Access Hollywood will be reporting on this tonight and it won't even make the local news. He was a humble teacher in Northern Minnesota and married to one of the 9 Avenson children (2 brothers, 7 sisters). This weekend, we will head up for his funeral - all of which he arranged on his own during his last two weeks on this earth.
SECOND IN LINE
My gaze veers off to the left and it ponders upon Simon. My 9 year old who, for all intense and purposes, is a couch potato. The claimed spot on the couch is where one could find him on a daily basis..reading, reading, reading. These are sophiticated books - typically 300 - 400 pages. His aunt came to visit the other day with more books for him and he jumped up and shouted with great exasperation; ran to the couch and opened up the first of 5 books. He has a full school day ahead of him and at 11:00, he chose SSR (super silent reading). It is now 12:36 and he still sits. Soon after I am done, I will have to squeeze myself through his silent bubble of thought and remind him that there are still agenda items that need to be addressed.
I mention this only because of my own working memories of his toddler years. My first born had all of me; physically connected on the floor, reading books, doing puzzles, and singing songs. Perry was an avid puzzler and loved to be read to. If we did nothing more than read and do puzzles until daddy came home, it was a perfect day. Perry was my 'flash card' baby; white 3 x 5 cards on appliances, stating their names, hi-frequency words on the cupboards, and having him site read board books,eventually leading him on a solid reading road before entering kindergarten. This was my, "I've dun gooood" moment as a mom.
Simon never followed that path. He would rather chew or throw the puzzle pieces, he would rather play with his toes than look at a book, and a good day was snuggling with mom, rocking in the chair and playing with my ears. My "I've dun gooood" mantra was replaced with a wide-eyed, mouth agape, "How can I fail my child like this?"
It should go without saying that all three of my children are inquisitive, curious, happy and avid readers. Books, or bookstore gift cards as gifts are met with enthusiasm. Trips to the library fills answers the question of, "What am I going to read today?" At this point in time, Perry seems to be transitioning himself out of the traditional book and has immersed himself into the world of catalogues, easy chapter books and lucy's early picture books. This is not a competition, but an observation as well as life study. By the time Lucy was born, I was the laid back mother who let her little girl chart her path as I supplied all the necessary arsenal - music, books, art, conversation, etc. All three (as babies) were raised and required a difference within my mothering. All three seem to reflect these differences to some varied degree. How will it be with this 4th baby? The answer remains...
THIRD AND FINAL
I am off to "snuggle time." Perry has me today and from what I understand, there is a table set up in his room with two cupcakes, two cups of milk and a lego catalogue to pour through together. I will have to take my 'oohs and aahhhs' out of the locked vault soon and meet him with the same intense excitement he seems to have for this moment. This is my moment. what is yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment