This is a funny book with an imaginative concept--the people of the town CHEWANDSWALLOW eat what drops from the sky--orange juice rain, pancakes floating down, hamburgers on a stormy day. The climate goes awry and the people set sail on stale bread boats to move to a world where food is bought in the supermarket. The illustrations are very funny, moving from line drawings in black and white to lovely colored illustrations as the fantasy story begins. While looking for a book cover to paste into this selection, i found out that there is a movie in production based on this children's book. I really have no reason to begin this blog with this story; but as i follow my stream of thought, I did as told.
The picture to the left is a portrayal of Peer Gynt. We have been learning quite a bit about Edvard Grieg, the Norwegian composer. Such as Tchaikovsky and The Nutcracker, Peer Gynt was a famous play composed by none other than Edvard Grieg. So, with coffee in hand and random thoughts sporadic as dust particles in the air, I sit and write during daybook time. Keeping in line with his long running theme; Perry has put on a CD and playing it at random. He has asked us to write whatever comes to mind during each song..."just go with the flow," he announces. 'Going with the flow' takes a concentrated effort on my end. It does not come easy to me. I am not sure if it is the level of patience that might be missing from this equation, the unknown of control, or the bafflement of time. But, something gets in the way. I have mentioned this before, but my kids love it when 'snuggle time' is on their agenda and it is my least favorite because it is literally 20 minutes of unscheduled time (laughing).
Perry's music of choice is fast paced and electronically tech(ed) out. As for his daybook time, he draws pictures and writes little words. I am not sure how this will play out. At his age, I was almost finished with my first 'diary' and my stack of journals strongly depicts the events in my life: elementary, highschool, through college, dating john and getting prepared for my wedding day. Each child has their own special journal that was kept as babies and even this no name baby has had a journal 6 weeks after conception - tracking thoughts, feelings, future predictions. Writing is a strong part of who I am and when I have moments to myself, I am either writing on this computer or pulling out a working journal.
So, I have accomplished Perry's direction....to be random. This passage is nothing short of that. Yes, i do believe this chosen theme of music has clearly defined itself within these written words and thoughts.
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!
Katie
Books kids are currently reading:
LUCY ~ Call of the Wild (Jack London)
SIMON ~ Redwall series (Brian Jacques)
PERRY ~ Captain Courageous (Rudyard Kipling)
No comments:
Post a Comment