I grew up on video games. I sold my siblings out for money for video games. I spent the greater part of my pre-teen years in store fronts that housed any unit of 25 cent entertainment. I am armored with the skill of the game and house within, a lexicon of movements, agendas, quick hand maneuvers and Atari like quickness that can outdraw even the finest of gamers.
Often, I laugh at my own real life video game scenarios. My children will laugh with me as i detail my drive home as if it were my very own video game and we make up the agenda..."Oh, there is the old lady crossing the street that we always hit....and the three legged dog that we will let pass....and the tree branch that we *always* have to dodge - even though we hit the poor kid in the wheel chair - mainly a casualty of point deduction.
Tonight, again, I revisited Katie's realistic video game. Tonight was the Twin's Christmas Party. As I have said in the past, much of this organization's employees have been around years before my husband had ever even joined. For instance, tonight, we celebrated a couple of 25 year'ers as well as a 45 year'er. It is a place where we have grown - literally: children, spouses, families, careers, venues, and domains, it's a place of connection...and to miss it would clearly bring upon a feeling of loss.
Again, our babysitter cancelled. We have a 13 year old who confidentially assured us he was capable of the job. On a test drive 24 hours prior, he flunked. I came to the conclusion, i was not to go -- meaning, that all other activity for the evening was on: Choir, 6th grade party at church and even an 8th grade party at church (which was cancelled by mother on account of missing assignments at school).
Twins party began at 6:15 and dinner to be served at 7:30. On the drive home from choir practice (6:30), the 21 month old yawned 3 times on the 1 mile trek. "Could I possibly wing this?" I thought. "Could I set him down upon arrival and leave when all is quiet? Hmmm...perhaps." The wheels began to turn, the text messages to husband commenced and the outfit was picked and splayed upon the bed.
The 25 cents was placed within the slot, the intro music surrounded the scene and the game began.
First Obstacle: Get baby down - calmly. Follow the routine....tedious 21 month old routine - don't skip anything, or you will be caught. Don't give any hints away. Act as if nothing is happening. So far so good. I might be able to make dinner by 7:30 (downtown).
Second Obstacle: Get 11 year old home from church. Called friend. No answer. Called cell phone - no answer. Called her husband cell phone... no answer. Tried all three again.....no answer.
Third Obstacle: dress. I have let my house go. I have not been within the frame of mind to keep up within the daily grind and the biggest victim calls upon my bedroom. All laundry has been dumped - literally dumped. Baskets sit upon baskets. Clothes spatter about the floor. My shirt was somewhere within the pile. One boot was here, the other was somewhere. The tank top was .....where was that tank top? The clothes once gathered in a pile were now strewn upon the bed, upon the floor, hanging from the fan, glued to the window, draped over the TV, hanging from the door knob....in frenzied desperation, i needed a shirt, a missing boot and some tights. AH - the tights.....i found the tights. I squeezed into them, only to realize that there was a tiny hole at the back of the knee. nope - take off the tights. Successfully find another pair. tank top gets gathered at the top of the chest and caught within bra strap.
I yank a couple of times before I realize that I need to slow down and unlease it from the strap. Bra shows too much, i need to take off tank top, take off bra and get another one. One the bed? On the fan? over the TV? In the closet? Where was that bra???? WHERE IS THE BRA!!??
Remember that I still have to get 11 year old home. Called friend. No answer. Called cell phone - no answer. Called her husband cell phone... no answer. Tried all three again.....ah, answer. YES, she can bring him home!!! Obstacle diverted...500 points!
I tell 13 year old that all is quiet and I am really going to try to make this work. It is now 6:55. My tights are changed, i am dressed, my hair is.....well, my hair just is. and I say good bye and ....well...with all good video game systems, it just can't be that easy. I have somehow reached the next level of difficulty. The baby begins to call out my name and he sees me in the hallway tip toeing towards the door (not good). I go in to get him a bottle and re-live his already committed bedtime routine from before. As I enter, the room is filled with a familiar smell. This baby has not messed his diaper at this particular time of night for at least 6 months. WHY NOW? It STINKS! I pull him out, take off the dirty diaper, and clean him up. There is no turning back. he is now out of his crib, out of his routine and in need of holding, cuddling, playing, etc. There is no way he is going back in the crib. I text my husband --- now irate that the ultimate plan is not working. I share some very unflattering language on my behalf and he and his group of co-workers get a good laugh at my decoratively flavored text messages. I was not going to make it. Too many obstacles. I resigned. But just as I do - the baby seems to quiet down. Seems to encourage a bedtime ritual once again. I put him down and quickly go through the motions. He is quiet.
Some how I dodge here and I dodge there and the babe goes down. Not sure how - but he did! Meanwhile, husband is apologizing on the behalf of me missing the party ( at the new ball park, by the way, in a swanky club for ticket holders). I text back, "DO NOT rule me out just yet!"
Obstacle 4 - Traffic
I begin to leave. Thinking this is the last thing i have to worry about. I back out of the driveway and get stuck at the bottom. The snow was recently plowed and a pile was at the bottom of our driveway. I make it through and navigate our neighborhood streets. Turn onto the main part of the road, right behind another vehicle going literally 10MPH. As much as I wanted to honk the horn and yell out the window, i remained composed. The freeway was full of seasonal traffic - but made it downtown in record time. I round the corner and as i turn on my blinker to turn right into Target Field, i was greeted by a very large and very closed front gate. I texted john, "SOMEBODY TRULY DOES NOT WANT ME TO BE HERE TONIGHT!!!" he tells me that he has called security and the gate should be opened soon. Before my eyes met the period at the end of the sentence, the gate unassumingly opened. I was in the parking lot. I was within minutes of a night out. Text: "Please order me a very big drink!"
We sat at a table with john's colleagues and I sat right next to a women whom I know. Her son is in the same grade as Perry. Attends the same school. Is in some of the same classes. Runs cross country and is a classic teenager. We were able to share our own stories of "WHAT?" "HOW?" and "I TRULY DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOU" moments over a couple of glasses of wine. The windowed Metropolitan Club looked out over the city as well as the ball field. Upon the big jumbo field screen (outside), a video of a fireplace and lit fire scene set the ambiance. A couple glasses of wine, some great conversation, a wonderful program and moments of, "Man, my husband is so happy to be here," filled my soul. I made it through all the video game obstacles and was able to share in periods of familial camaraderie within this organization that has been well apart of our lives for the past 17 years.
Thanks for listening.
Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment