Search This Blog

Friday, December 24, 2010

The Gig is Up

In years past, I have been able to pull off Christmas. I have been able to recreate a magic that is almost humanly impossible (in the eyes of my children). The doubt in the magic of Christmas and even Santa Claus was close to nil - until this year. Clearly, the suspicions have housed quietly in thought; but have been kept at bay. I have intently kept the 13 year old in the dark, simply because I knew he would eagerly blow a cover I had so diligently tried to keep up. He would boastly declare to siblings and friends that he knew otherwise. No tact, no masking, no social cues would be had.

The other night, I found a pretty cool "Santa Video" page and I thought I would send it to the 9 year old; who seems to still have the innocent magic driving her dreams. Take a look:

http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/watch/8zcIvtUGgLo2tE7x2_q3aA

She received the email and excitedly (with a hint of "how could this happen....hmmmm) discussed it with the family.

Not an hour later, THE GIG WAS UP.

As both parents were out gathering last minute details to add to the magical day, the 13 year old took the address - portablenothpoletv and logged in. He sent both his mother and father an email from Santa Claus. All the while, showing his sister that the Santa video was all rigged by her mom.

Driving home, i receive the email 'from Santa," and my reaction was mixed. "OH NO!" was first, followed by laughter, followed by, "LUCY!!??"

Getting home, 13 year old shouts from the upstairs, "You have an email from Santa waiting for you!" I slowly walk upstairs and the little girl awaits my arrival. Face forlorn, slumped shoulders, head slightly bowed.

It was time to rally. Even though the car had bags filled with stocking stuffers, it was time to rally. I could not, in good conscience, have it end so abruptly by a 13 year old.

We sat on the couch, snuggled, cried, discussed and then brought the brothers in - whom have since wiped the smirks off their faces, after seeing the affects of their ill thought out plan. They came in, apologized to their little sister and then the discussion began.

Christmas. Magic. Birth of Jesus. Unexplainable moments during the season that even mommy and daddy can't imagine. We talked about the "what will happen if you stop believing in Christmas." I think i got it. I think i handled it (with the grace of God).

The gig was up - and i know the thoughts and questions are inescapable - but bringing her in, as any mother bear would, i have offered her a cushion for the fall.

Thanks for listening.

No comments: