I am involved with another man. His name is Dexter. He is a fictitious character produced by Showtime TV. John is away for the week and that means that Dexter and I have some alone time.
Blood Pathologist by day, Serial Killer by night. I am drawn to his intriguing and cerebral reality. His writers are keen and insightful and they too, live within the passion and picture of words.
Dexter is a Logophile, such as my self-proclaimed self. Each night, i sit upon the couch with my notebook and I listen intently to the words - the slow and penetrating sound of his text. I listen and copy down my favorites. Here are a few:
FAVORITE DEXTER QUOTES
He taught me how to think like one; he taught me how to cover my tracks. I'm a very neat monster.
My sister puts up a front so people won't know how vulnerable she really is. Me? I put up a front so people won't know how vulnerable I'm not.
The worst thing about finally putting together a puzzle is finding there are missing pieces. He came back and left nothing behind but a message: come find me, and I will.
There are no secrets in life, just hidden truths that lie beneath the surface. (Favorite thus far)
Harry taught me that death isn't the end. It's the beginning of a chain reaction that will catch you if you're not careful. He taught me that none of us are who we appear to be on the outside. But we must maintain appearances to survive. But there was something Harry didn't teach me. Something he didn't know, couldn't possibly know. The willful taking of life represents the ultimate disconnect from humanity. It leaves you an outsider, forever looking in, searching for company to keep.
I love Halloween. The one time of year when everyone wears a mask … not just me. People think it's fun to pretend you're a monster. Me, I spend my life pretending I'm not
Some people might call me a fraud. ...I prefer to think of myself as a master of disguise.
Harry was the only one who saw me, really saw me. So he taught me to hide and that's what's kept me safe. But sometimes I'm not sure where Harry's vision of me ends and where the real me starts. If I'm just a collection of learned behaviors, bits and pieces of Harry, maybe my new friend is right. Maybe I am a fraud.
"Be prepared" – that's my motto. The Boy Scouts and I have that in common. Of course, there's no merit badge for tonight's outing.
No comments:
Post a Comment