Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If You Love Something, Set If Free

(the following section was posted in Minnetonka, MN. We are home. It is 10:00pm MN time and 3am Icelandic time. Off to bed.)

It is 10:50am and I told my family I would be back by 11am. We are departing again today – we are departing for home. I have escaped for a few and have taken my lap top to the streets of Reykjavik. Me, and my Kaffe besides look out onto a quaint one way in a section of what I can only assume was once a bustling shipping village. The town is beginning to swell in modern growth.

This place is out of reach. I sit from afar in a tiny Icelandic coffee house and with longing, look down the streets. This town calls to me, tantalizing me in every way, almost looking past me in conversation, implying, “You can’t have this.” Ironically, the soundtrack from Garden State is playing – an eclectic movie depicting those in need of finding their way.

People dress up here in Reykjavik – if saying, you are a guest in my house and I welcome you, I have put on my best dress. No one mimics my jeans, walking shoes and hoodie attire. Window shopping brings a second layer of what is not to be – cute hats, scarves, sweaters are well over hundreds of dollars. This does not bode well for someone on a ‘’clearance rack’ budget.

I teeter in range of emotion, knowing I am to leave this love behind. I am enamored, jealous, intrigued by people and culture, yearning to be educated and hopeful for another encounter.

Iceland and Family:

My time is cutting short; but here it is
1. Arrive to cute “IKEA-esque” apartment. Two bedroom, on cusp of walking to shops, bakeries, coffee houses, shipping yard, etc

2. Get a good night’s rest and in the morning head out to:
a. Crater Lake
b. Thingvillr – Viking parliamentary place (http://www.thingvellir.is/english)
c. Geysirs
d. Gullfoss – largest waterfall in all of Europe – glacier fed (http://www.vulkaner.no/n/gullfoss/egullfoss.html)
e. Beautiful Lake where kids and I build stone statues out of rocks.
f. Blue Lagoon – enticing mineral geothermal spa – huge.( http://www.bluelagoon.com/)

3. Home around 10:45pm…sun does not set and so it feels like 4pm.

4. Today – leave for home. Will walk same streets I have walked alone. Historical Church to educate ourselves and take typical pictures. (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/iceland/reykjavik-hallgrimskirkja)

5. Souvenir shop with kids

We are at the end of a magnificent journey. One last sip of my espresso, one last look down the street, one last glance at a world I am not to be acquainted with, one last moment typing these words on this keyboard..and…stop

No comments: