Like the Seine River, this post will have its own ebb and flow and up and down rhythm. As I near the end of cleaning this apartment we have called home for the past 5 days; I sneak into the back corner room, open my lap top and allow my fingers and mind to dance with the other.
Enjoy
Many years ago, my (now 81) year old neighbor, came to my door after a trip to Italy. He said, "While looking out my window, I saw a cat that reminded me of your Gato. He was there every morning when I awoke." He then took out a small alabaster figurine; that of a cat. "This is for you," he said. "It reminds me of a poem I wrote in Tuscany about the orange cat outside my window."
Tonight, I smile. Presently, there is a wild black cat roaming the walkway below, meowing in the lonely and 'nobody loves me' way that is similar to our cat, Alice, at home. No money will be spent on alabaster tonight.
Today, after a heavy rain storm, the family embarked on a trip to the Louvre. Because it is the first Sunday of the month, the Louvre was free and all countries seemed to be in generous representation today. Saying there was a multitude of people would be an understatement. The line wrapped around the outside pyramid and out an arch way and around the courtyard. Knowing that I did not want to endure this, I walked up to a man selling his Eiffel Tower key chains and asked to show me the other entrances (I did research before). He looked at our stroller and said, "Oh no Madame...you and baby get to walk right in. Go to the door on the far left and go in." In disbelief, we did as instructed. Found ourselves at the left door of the pyramid and literally walked right on through. A man was waiting there for us with an open elevator and took us straight down. We continued to act like the sophisticated family we are known to be - but once inside and out of view, the excitement was abounding. SCORE!!!
I had made a scavenger hunt for us but left it at home. It was a good thing. We would not have been able to navigate as freely as I had planned. It was crowded and steamy hot. Clearly not the most attractive of circumstances for your first visit - but we proudly endured. Simon really wanted to see print drawings, but the floor was closed. Perry wanted to see the Mona Lisa and he did. It would not be Perry if he waited patiently three rows back. He and his camera worked their way through the crowd, he got front and center with Ms. Lisa and took 7 pictures (or so he says). We also enjoyed the Egyptian Antiquities wing. Sidney put up with us for over two and a half hours but ultimately was the catalyst in our departure; being quite disagreeable with our personal venue. No amount of milk, biscuit or pacifier soothed the antsy demons within.
Notre Dame. Oh I wish I had more than three sentences to say about Notre Dame; but today, its only purpose was a meeting place for sister and family. All involved parties were quite hungry. Brother in Law led the way down his streets of Paris. Lunch, crepes, and then Luxembourg Gardens for a 'sit' near the incredible Senate building.
A walk home with the family; who decided upon a nice long walk home through the open streets of Paris in lieu of a Metro ride home. Perfect Dinner. Discussion of the day. Play at the park. Showers and bed.
Tomorrow we leave for Strasbourg. Another page, another journey, another dance with fingers and mind. Till we meet again, adieu.
No comments:
Post a Comment