Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fun Can't be Scheduled



Last year, on the daily schedule, was something called, "Snuggle Time." This was a 20 minute time period that i spent with 'assigned' child. One day, Lucy had 20 minutes of uninterrupted Snuggle time and so on for subsequent children. I posted that this was my least favorite time. It was scheduled; and instead of enjoying the opportunity, I watched the clock and heard the ticks only grow louder as we neared the end. It did not sit well with me, and ironically, it was my children's favorite part of their school schedule. I toiled with 'scheduled' intimate time.

Our family dynamic is made of an array of building blocks, balancing upon the other, dependent upon the next for strength and stability. Our best moments are the 'unscheduled, the nebulous , the unbalanced, and the times that warrant strength of mind and character.

I was encouraged to make this past school Friday a spontaneous, fun, snugglie day. It worked out just fine; but i was not complete. I put forth a schedule and that was my mistake. My children taught me otherwise.

In hindsight, the schedule is at best, laughable. Even more humorous, I had the typed page decorated in festive decor - as an attempt to convince that we were about to embark on a "crazy - kooky brain kinda day."


FRIDAY - DAY 'O SNUGGLIE
Schedule:
Math (always must do math): Daily Math and Assessment Drill
Read - book of choice or library box
Movie in mom's bed
Game with mom
Baking of Viking Bread
Order Pizza for lunch
Viking Jewelry Making
Simon class @ 2pm. Mom and Lucy hang out together.

Pictorial representation of day
See full size image
Chess Club 8:00 am every Friday

9:00 - arrive home. Simon settles right in.

While he is reading, Lucy is asking if we can make some Viking Jewelry. Absolutely, fun mom replies. I get down my "Craft Box." It takes a while for it is on the very top closet shelf underneath three additional boxes, some open plane models, and some gloves. Things tumble down from the top shelf, but alas, my "Craft Box" is retrieved. Not much to it...I DON'T DO this kind of stuff. One single, solitary box with an odd mix of acrylic paints, brushes, stencils, and for some reason, a few unwanted stuffed animals. Yes, the box actually says, "Crafty Stuff." I did not put the sign on there for the purpose of this post.



Simon making a Viking Long Boat

Lucy making a Viking style pendant


and....Simon back to reading

Movie in bed. Of course, Viking theme. Cartoon - but what else would one expect out of a day o fun?

papa-johns-pizza Our 'Pizza for lunch' time was cut short and we actually ate it in the car; as we were running late to our next event -- a movie critique class that Simon is taking.

While Simon was at a friends house, Lucy and I got something for sidney to eat, got her hair cut and went to Starbucks for a treat.

2010-01-29 15.57.25.jpg Lucy and I playing,our own version of "Would You Rather?" Would you rather swim with dolphins or be on an African Safari with elephants and zebras? Her answer was to swim with dolphins.

2010-01-29 15.46.46.jpg Sidney taking it in

2010-01-29 15.46.20.jpg Hot cider and granola bar

The day ended - actually around midnight. I had some friends over, my kids then, had friends over and we all called it an evening at 12 midnight, when my husband walked through the door after his long day at work.

Oh, who says you can't have fun? Just don't schedule it.




No comments: