Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Kublai and Making It Work

This isn't an ordinary year - i have driven this point 8 feet under ground; and yet, we are still here, still working through our days and still laughing.

I am settling into a regular schedule and honestly, did not see this happening. but, satisfied, content and feel that learning is ultimately taking place. We are home...HOME. We do not go anywhere special and work through Kublai's routine. When traveling through history, we often bestow upon Sidney the newest of nicknames the denote something beastly in nature (smile). The latest was Kublai Khan...the tyrannical Mongolian Emperor after Genghis.

Typical Daily Schedule:

*Piano first practice first thing in the morning before school
*Critical Thinking and Logic exercises (to wake up the brain). This comes in a variety of forms: Computer, Exercise Books, Weekly Word Problems.
*Math: 2 math text books - one at grade level and one above
*Editing Skills: Computer program that works through editing a paragraph. Each get to play a quick computer game upon completing it successful.

Kublai goes down for his nap and I rally the kids onto the couch - we wrap ourselves in blankets if need be, i get my coffee, they get their cider and we begin

*Story of the World: curriculum text book that I read from in story form - i find it to be an excellent resource. This week, we have learned and discussed: Ivan the Great and Ivan the Terrible (Lucy will be doing a report on Ivan the Terrible and Simon will be doing something on the Silk Road), and took a video trip to the Kremlin. The Ottoman Turks and their attack/capture of Constantinople (our personal favorite story and place to always talk about and learn.) We visited the now, Istanbul through a couple of tourists' YouTube videos; cool to see the same standing buildings 600 years later, and yesterday, we talked about the "Black Death" that swept all over - killing multitudes.

*Writing: All experience in writing have come from an outstanding book I bought in northern Minnesota - We just finished reading it on Thursday and I was sad to see it go --- literally cried at the end of the book and Lucy had to finish the last two pages.

*Read Aloud - currently reading SCAT - a book that ultimately gives kids the power to make huge change.

Then the kids are back to their work - and I am around to help until Sidney awakes.

*How will I Change the World: Independent project due in December. Simon and Lucy are required to design their own service project - research, make contact and execute. I am helping by supplying the baby steps needed to make it to the end. Currently Simon is thinking of doing something with the Chilean Minors and Lucy is making notebooks for patients in hospitals.

*CNN Student News: This is a 10 minute news story put on by CNN and geared for students. Lucy and Simon have a "Student News" notebook and put the date down each day, write about a key story and give a brief description of another story of choice. At night, at dinner, john will typically ask, "What's in the news today, kids?" By the end of the year, they will have a complete notebook of the years events.

*Cursive

*SSR - There are 2 SSR periods during the day. One is reading time in books that I have chosen for them - presently Lucy is reading the Little Princess and Simon is finishing up The Lord of the Rings...i need to get him another book this weekend. The other period is called "Box Time" where i have a variety of book choices that really has no match or bearing on what we are learning - but books of interest that I have found during library visits.

The day is specked with other agenda items - but this is typical and again, working out well for us......for the time being.

So, It is a quieter year than in the past and I am learning to like it. Expectations are still set in place, but they are attainable --- fantastically wonderful for all!!!

Thanks for listening.

No comments: