Again, in writing.
Last week, I had two mason jars sitting out and instruction for the kids to fill it up with "defining" objects. "What is You?" I asked and sent them on their hunt. We decorated the outside of the jar and then let them sit for the weekend on the dining room table.
Today, we talked about the recent news event about someone finding a message in a bottle, sent from Florida and found in Ireland. Another story talked about a 4th grader in Seattle, sending out a message as a class experiment and 21 years later, it shows up on the coast of the Bering Sea. Today, we took out the jars and simon and lucy were prompted to write a character portrayal of 'the jar.' If someone were to find this jar somewhere in this world, how would they define you, simply by looking inside.
All three of us wrote. I took simon's jar for my observational study and this is what I wrote...simply from looking at his chosen objects.
++++++++
I am complicated. I am specific. When I relax, or feel at my most accomplished self, I take out a book, my notepad and my stubby pencil; sit outside amongst nature and be a part of the glorious unfolding. I am a person with an undertaking of words, a command over the English language and a creative user of its form and structure. I use words to find myself - to develop my person, to exercise my soul. The surround of books strengthens my resolve and perception. Not too many people know the true me. I am ambiguous, yet present. I am open, yet covered, grounded and guarded. My intent unfolds before you and yet, you look around, searching, as if i am lost.
No comments:
Post a Comment