Again, simply noting a timeline of events - for one day I will forget this ever happened. This blog will help me pass the time when i am old and feeble.
Subject: Remodeling a Friend's Bathroom (Saturday, June 23 - Saturday, June 30)
How I got here: A fund raiser and a new bathroom has always been my goal. Somehow i got sidetracked into redoing the inside of the house as well...not on my first priority.
A husband passed away in his family bathroom 4 months ago. This room had to be changed. The entire visual had to be altered. Family members still need to exist and live in the home. it HAD to change. 3 1/2 months ago, I contacted our local Home Depot, I met with them, I invited them into the home, I met with them again and finally, my friend and I went to the store front and picked out all the new materials that the store was going to donate. We remodeled an entire bathroom within a 10 minute visit. It had to be quick, easy, and unremarkable...and it was.
A month ago, i begin to seek out contractors, plumbers, sheet rockers, anyone and everyone who would be willing to lend a hand. No one. Some people doubted the authenticity of my story; but most simply didn't respond. I began to seek out the wealthiest of the contractors....the ones who do large lake homes. Could they find it within them to concentrate a small amount of time on a tiny bathroom - making a significant impact. Clearly, money was not an issue. These companies could easily afford this. Again, no one....but one. "Katie, we will be very happy to help your friend. tell us when and where to meet and we can discuss the details."
I was happy, elated, gitty with excitement that things were falling into place.
The family was to be gone the last week of July. Perfect timing to get in there and get it done. "By the way, we will have to charge for our labor to get it done for you." I met with them anyway. Thinking, once they see the bathroom, once they hear me out on where this family stands, once they feel that beginning desire of philanthropy -they will accept it. I met with the president of the company. He saw the bathroom but was unimpressed. We went ahead and scheduled a visit with the sheet rocker and plumber. Upon introducing myself, i was surprised that neither knew anything about this family. They were simply there to bid out a paying job. I was as accommodating as possible. Showing this man how meaningful this experience would be to his company. I drove downtown, delivered the specs he requested - giving my time, just as he will give back to this family.
The bids came back with padded amounts from the president of the company. He was going to squeeze out my last penny.
I could afford the sheet rocker, but not the plumber. I got back on the phone. With extended family help, i found one who knows the family, he is donating all his time and he is taking off the week that is needed.
Today, I met with Matt from Home Depot. he drove to the family home, truck loaded up with what it will take to put back together a bathroom. We piled everything into the family's dining room (they leave early tomorrow morning) and I went home - knowing i will be back, bright and early in the morning.
This afternoon, i sat on my couch, logged onto YouTube and watched, "How to take bathroom tile off" "How to break up a cast iron tub." I then went into the garage, took a recycling bin and loaded it with all my materials: hammer, sledge hammer, crow bar, safety goggles, tarp, screw drivers, dust pan, etc, etc.
Saturday Morning: A friend, the plumber and I will convene and begin demolition. Monday, the plumber will do his stuff. Tuesday, the sheet rocker will do his stuff. Thursday and Friday, i will be back in the my friend to paint, lay floor, put in light fixtures, towel bars, etc.
A bathroom redo --- I have no idea......It will be really fun to see how this turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment