Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

18 strangers

18

Today, I have to write. These moments have to take a place somewhere and they are not to be dismissed. The power of people and their willingness of generosity are exemplary and it has to be noted. Some doors close and others open and I am humbled again by possibility.

Today was the birthday for a 16 year old boy. He has been into computers for quite some time and the other evening, I could not get a word in edge wise (is that the saying?) because he went on and on about his computer. It was an outdated computer that ultimately crashes on him whenever he tries to get deep into a program. I left that evening with no particular lasting impression of his crashing computer.

Yesterday, my mind was on the inevitable celebration of his 16 years of life. This will be the first one of many spent without his father. Discussing ideas with his mom, we thought that she could give her son the job of putting YouTube videos together of his dad’s music. He would not be able to do this with his current technology – or lack thereof.
10am Sunday: I begin making phone calls and sending emails to any computer store around; asking for a significant donation. The answer was no.

1:00pm: I get this brave idea. I certainly cannot purchase a new laptop, but perhaps, with the willingness of my neighbors, something can be done. I send out an email and have the kids go door to door with flyers and talk about this awesome opportunity of a gift. “For 20.00, you can help pay for a new laptop computer for this 16 year olds birthday.” This will be a lasting gift – something he can use to ‘get away from it all’ as well as immerse himself into his father’s worship music and make it public for other’s to listen to. I sent some additional emails off to family members and close friends.

10:am Monday: Lucy and I go to Best Buy and purchase a brand lap top computer. Each of the given 20.00 added up to a nice sum of money and I was able to get it completely updated by the Geek Squad as well for half price.

10:40am: Arrive at the birthday house! Gift in hand. A lasting impression.

10:41am: My heart swells for the umpteenth time!

No comments: